It was in 1894 that Johannes Wilhem Stübben and his wife Maria registered a leather and harness goods company at Krefeld, Germany where it remains to this day. Johannes had apprenticed as a saddler and then become a journeyman before being awarded the title of Master Saddler. The company was well situated to provide equipment to the Prussian cavalry who were based in Krefeld. The legacy he started was carried forward by his son Carl who also became a Master Saddler and his grandson Werner. The family home was destroyed during WWII and Werner, along with Carl rebuilt the home and workshop and in 1949 The Stübben store was reopened. Carl who was fluent in five languages and had a passion for Wagner was the first to name the various models of saddles “Siegfried”, “Tristan” etc.. Stubben products are now manufactured in three European countries and distributed in nearly 50 countries worldwide.